Friday, July 5, 2013

The Theory: Insight A


“Theory of Graceful Aging”

We cannot deny the fact that all of us, as we get through life will reach the age of being old and we are actually on that path.  Having an optimistic view of aging could equip us to enjoy our journey in life.  Gray hairs are crown of glory. It is the fact that whatever we acquire since from our birth will be evident as we go through the years. It is on how we can cope in times of difficulties, our character in everyday life and on how we deal with people in every circumstances. We are on the journey, as time passed by, age goes by and we need to accept it gracefully and live meaningfully at the present as we are going to the future of aging.
            As I have realized this fact in regards to theorist Letty Kuan, it inspires me of how I can contribute to those who are already old and have reached transitions and changes in their lives.   As I can recall some of the elderly patients I have encountered in my nursing career it makes me wonder what have they’ve gone through. It also makes me look up at them with respect especially those who are good patients.  Those who are cooperative, happy even they are hospitalized, have a sense of humor, it is as if, they are already fulfilled in life.
On the other hand, I encountered difficult elderly patients. They tend to be unfriendly, uncooperative and looked depressed.  Those behaviors challenge the power of nursing career. As what Letty Kuan’s concept, nurses serve as an agent to help them survive their crisis in life.   Exploration of their upbringing and development gives as an idea to understand them and identify the factors to reach their goals and appreciate their life being old.

By:

Arlyn Tambong R.N

0 comments: