Friday, July 5, 2013

The Theory: Insight B





“Graceful Aging”
Sister Letty G. Kuan P.h.D

Insights

Some healthcare professionals who are aging, retired or nearing retirement regret the loss of
professional identity and collegiality, as well as usefulness. I reflect it on myself “what will I do
when I’m aging” .Living half of my life away from my country, acquiring the culture of my Arab
husband gives me perception of bewilderness. “Graceful Aging” theory of Sister Letty G. Kuan
is very important .It gives me inspiration to continue living without apprehension .Acquiring
positive background during childhood makes me stronger, having professional identity and
usefulness. Within my physical capability, the previous habits, hobbies, daily activity-exercise
and diet should continue the same as long as it is possible. Bearing in mind that there is always a time for work and time for aging. Fostering personality development in the direction of maturity is a function of nursing and nursing education; it requires principles and methods that permit and guide process of grappling with everyday interpersonal problems or difficulties (Peplau, 1992,p.14).
I remember last month that my brother told me to go home already to focus for myself because I
served them for many years and instead he will be the one will go abroad. I said no; just continue
reaching your goals in life and I will continue working here abroad .I realize I’m in right path.
Sister Letty G. Kuan said “If you have a very happy and nice childhood, you will have a very
fruitful aging, happy retirement and ultimately Legacy.” In nursing, when we acquire previous
positive perception, we should endure to have multifaceted roles to fill in the gaps of the patients
and show them as a role model so that they will have also better quality of life and graceful
aging.

Rhodora Mae Solis

0 comments: